PDA

View Full Version : Tech Days in Louisiana - May 23rd and 24th

Dracula
05-10-2015, 11:00 PM
It looks like there's going to be another tech session in Louisiana because some people are stupid enough to try to drive a DeLorean on a regular basis.

I intend to get there on the morning of the 23rd so I can get my repairs done quickly and have all Sunday to help others.

stevedmc
05-11-2015, 07:49 AM
I'm still in shock of myself. For years I have preached against replacing hoses. Now Drew's car is going to be the third system I have replaced hoses on.

Has anyone asked Fred how his AC system is holding up since we replaced his hoses?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Are you all monitoring system pressure, or are you just throwing cans of freon in blind?

I travel with this gauge in my cubby hole so I can monitor system pressure anywhere/anytime

(I have a full manifold set too -- this is just the gauge I keep behind my seat). As long as the orifice tube isn't clogged up you can do everything you need to through the low side.

Bill Robertson

FunkyStickman
05-11-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't know if you guys remember me, I'm Jeff (with the Saturn) who lives near Fred. I saw you guys heading to his house on the 3rd, but I didn't get to stop in and say hi. Hadn't checked the boards in a while, realized almost nobody posts on DMCTalk any more, and Farrar pointed me in this direction.

Hopefully it would be okay with you guys if I dropped in to visit, check out the cars, etc. for a little while. Wouldn't want to impose! Had such a great time last time at Fred's, but have just been busy.

On a good note, I recently came into possession of a 1965 Rambler fastback... if ya'll were interested, I could swing by with it and let you check it out.

Glad to see everyone's hanging in there! Except for Farrar's car. Poor thing. He said a busted head gasket or sleeve liner? Eww. Hoping it's not that bad.

:wave:

stevedmc
05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Sounds awesome to me. Bring the real car. Lol

Btw, has anyone heard from _________ lately?

stevedmc
05-11-2015, 02:59 PM
I used to monitor my pressure but I haven't had to touch the AC ever since I installed a set of Hervey hoses.

Farrar
05-11-2015, 10:27 PM
OK, I'm on board with this one. Now that the semester is over I have the rest of the month with no homework.

Welcome to DMCToday, Jeff!

Looks like I will have to bring my "air conditioning leak checking hose" (a la Robertson) and someone may have to supply soapy water in a spray bottle if Drew has an a/c leak.

Didn't Drew say he might need piston rings? Can those be sourced locally? If not, he'd better order a set. Sometimes shipping can take a lot longer than you planned...

Dracula
05-11-2015, 10:39 PM
No rush on ordering the rings; we have to figure out the problem first.

Farrar
05-12-2015, 01:53 PM
I will bring my compression-tester hose with the Schrader valve removed so that we can test for cylinder leakage on Drew's engine.

(But first I will perform the same tests on mine to make sure I have the proper technique.)

Dracula
05-18-2015, 03:43 PM
My plans just received a major monkey wrench: the truck I borrow; already loaded up with the DeLorean engine and transmission, was stolen...

Farrar
05-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Oh noes! :(

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-18-2015, 10:23 PM
My plans just received a major monkey wrench: the truck I borrow; already loaded up with the DeLorean engine and transmission, was stolen...

Time to buy an old F150 of your own.

4962 4963

They are all over Craigslist for $500-$800, although for that price you will likely get a thoroughly worn out interior (about $500 to redo the interior). Door weatherstripping will also be shot (about $100). And of course exterior paint will be virtually non existent. That said, my friend in Northern Virginia is hounded weekly by people wanting to buy the truck I keep up there (Craigslist trucks are non existent in Northern Virginia).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
05-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Time to buy an old F150 of your own.

4962 4963

They are all over Craigslist for $500-$800, although for that price you will likely get a thoroughly worn out interior (about $500 to redo the interior). Door weatherstripping will also be shot (about $100). And of course exterior paint will be virtually non existent. That said, my friend in Northern Virginia is hounded weekly by people wanting to buy the truck I keep up there (Craigslist trucks are non existent in Northern Virginia).

Bill Robertson

It's looking like I'll have no other option. I fear, though, that may mean selling the Lincoln.

Farrar
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Why do you need to buy an F-150 when you don't have an engine or transmission to haul around anymore?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-18-2015, 10:41 PM
As soon as you buy a truck you will wonder how you ever lived without it. I am hauling stuff all the time in mine.

Be advised: as soon as you have a truck everybody will want to borrow it. If you buy one with a straight drive they will want to borrow you as well because nobody knows how to drive a manual transmission anymore.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
05-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Why do you need to buy an F-150 when you don't have an engine or transmission to haul around anymore?

Because something is always breaking on the DeLorean and necessitates it being towed places.

Though, without the parts OR the truck, I can hopefully adapt the Lincoln to service duty for 17 months until I move.

Farrar
05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
You could always leave the DeLorean in the garage. In my experience, it will break whether you drive it or not. :headwall:

Seriously, though -- sorry about your stolen parts, and your friend's stolen truck.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Because something is always breaking on the DeLorean and necessitates it being towed places.

Though, without the parts OR the truck, I can hopefully adapt the Lincoln to service duty for 17 months until I move.

Look closely at my Green Truck and you'll see a station wagon Class III hitch bolted to it (drops down to clear the station wagon gas tank). A receiver like that would definitely work on your Lincoln. Of course in a pinch you could use a bumper mount receiver. Rear springs are probably tired already -- buy a pair of coilover shocks whether you're towing anything or not (tomorrow I'll take a picture of mine, bolt on style) because they really improve the car's stance. You'd probably be OK without a transmission cooler towing a DeLorean, especially on a tow dolly. Even with *TWO* coolers my friend in DC burned up the FMX transmission in his classic truck, so he uses the Green Truck now for all heavy duty towing (Green Truck has a granny gear so it can pull some fantastically heavy loads uphill -- just not very fast).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
05-18-2015, 11:12 PM
You could always leave the DeLorean in the garage. In my experience, it will break whether you drive it or not. :headwall:

Seriously, though -- sorry about your stolen parts, and your friend's stolen truck.

I'm disappointed; but at least nobody was hurt. I only hope that the truck is found and that the parts are still in the back.

Look closely at my Green Truck and you'll see a station wagon Class III hitch bolted to it (drops down to clear the station wagon gas tank). A receiver like that would definitely work on your Lincoln. Of course in a pinch you could use a bumper mount receiver. Rear springs are probably tired already -- buy a pair of coilover shocks whether you're towing anything or not (tomorrow I'll take a picture of mine, bolt on style) because they really improve the car's stance. You'd probably be OK without a transmission cooler towing a DeLorean, especially on a tow dolly. Even with *TWO* coolers my friend in DC burned up the FMX transmission in his classic truck, so he uses the Green Truck now for all heavy duty towing (Green Truck has a granny gear so it can pull some fantastically heavy loads uphill -- just not very fast).

Bill Robertson

Thanks, Bill.

I'm going to try to get the Lincoln roadworthy so that I can loan it out until the truck is replaced. The TV show really screwed up my schedule and plans.

If I can set up the Lincoln to tow the DeLorean, then I'll be sitting pretty.

I'll also need to tow the Cadillac from time to time, but that's what AAA is for.

Drewlorean
05-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Man that sucks :/

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-18-2015, 11:57 PM
U Haul used to do a single day local (return to the place of pickup) tow dolly rental for about $50. Your Cadillac should barely fit a U Haul dolly (I towed the suicide door Lincoln that donated its engine and transmission all the way from Euclid Ohio on a U Haul dolly). U Haul dollies are narrower than typical, so the wheels don't really fit into the cradle -- lash the vehicle to the cradle itself with additional ratchet straps rather than relying on the wheel straps (I do that on every vehicle I tow -- even the ones that fit). You'll have to lie to U Haul and tell them you're towing something else, but you'd have to do that with a DeLorean too (DeLoreans aren't in their approved database).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-19-2015, 06:01 AM
I suppose I could come to Houston this weekend to do tabs.

Farrar
05-19-2015, 12:35 PM
So is this still happening or not? I haven't received any e-mails from our host.

Drewlorean
05-19-2015, 01:06 PM
As far as I know, Fred's tech day is still happening. At first I could only make the 24th, but my schedule's changed and now I'll probably head there on the 23rd, stay the night, and continue working the next day.

FunkyStickman
05-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Anybody there yet? I got the Rambler registered, it's all good!

stevedmc
05-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm en route to Chads house in Houston as we are doing trailing arm bolts today. There should still be a gang at Freds house today to. I know that Drew is dying to get his ac fixed.

Sorry I couldn't make it to the Louisiana event today.

FunkyStickman
05-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Ah, gonna miss you, Steve. Good luck! Maybe next time.

Dracula
05-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Heck, IF we can get my car fixed tonight and drive out there immediately after, it's possible to attend tomorrow's event.

Though, I have no intent of trying to usurp Steve's kindness in such a manner.

Farrar
05-23-2015, 11:07 AM
I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Drewlorean
05-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Anybody there yet? I got the Rambler registered, it's all good!

I'm leaving Baton Rouge in about an hour. I talked to Fred and he's attending a grandchild's birthday this afternoon. He said we're welcome to show up and get started.

I'm en route to Chads house in Houston as we are doing trailing arm bolts today. There should still be a gang at Freds house today to. I know that Drew is dying to get his ac fixed.

One sweat droplet at a time. Good lucks guys with the TABs!

I'll see y'all tomorrow.

Sounds good Farrar.

Drewlorean
05-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Today we got the new fans installed. Tomorrow: compressor hoses and recharging the system.

stevedmc
05-24-2015, 08:04 PM
How's that cold ac? Me and Chad are dying to get our fans installed.

Dracula
05-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Do you need a hand tomorrow? If it's an emergency, I can make it there to help.

Farrar
05-24-2015, 09:15 PM
When I left (around 5:45pm), Drew had the new accumulator, orifice tube, and hoses installed, with the exception of the connections right at the compressor. He and Fred had stopped working on the a/c in order to address his right LCA's ball joint. I assume by now that he has air conditioning; the only thing left was to connect the hoses at the compressor, test for leaks/vacuum, and then charge the system.

Drewlorean
05-25-2015, 12:06 AM
No cold AC.
Yet.

Fred and I finished up the hoses and zip-tied everything. We pulled vacuum and with no sign of leaks. As the system charged, we noticed the fans weren't kicking on, regardless of compressor, ac mode, etc. Ran 12v directly to them and they kicked on instantly. Instead of finishing up with the r134, we inspected the relay compartment and found both fan fuses are blown. And somewhat melted.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/24/917334a8c4d93573ddc6912e1a51d65f.jpg

Btw, does anyone know the correct order/orientation of the spade connectors? The left one is fused to the plastic, and the bottom one was either loose or not connected at all. Top one seems fine. We checked Fred's car which has a slightly different setup.

Anyways, it was getting late and a completely random tornado watch went into effect. Power went out so we called it a night. Everything SHOULD be wrapped up by tomorrow.

The whole process would've gone much faster if it weren't for all the "little snags" that popped up. Hell, much of the time was spent looking for tools that were placed down minutes before. Fred and I came to the conclusion that gremlins from another dimension enjoy temporarily stealing tools.

But both days have been very productive. Big thanks to Farrar and Jeff for all their help today. And of course Fred for his help & hospitality.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-25-2015, 12:36 AM
Get rid of those fused jumpers and replace them with an unfused jumper. DMC never specified fuses in the jumper:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-06-9.82.html

That is community weirdness that developed into gospel over the years that often fails (fuse holders melt). The circuit is already breaker protected -- fuses are totally redundant even if they don't melt.

Bill Robertson

Drewlorean
05-25-2015, 07:14 AM
For the time being, (I just want this finished asap) couldn't I just put in higher rated fuses? Or for that matter, stick with the current # since the new fans draw less amps?

stevedmc
05-25-2015, 09:39 AM
You boys and girls get that AC charged yet?

Drewlorean
05-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Finishing up the charge now. Currently getting 60 degree vent temperature at idle :)

Front fans are working great. They sound nice too.. a bit higher/cleaner in pitch than stock. Turns out the fuses blew because one of the fan spade connectors was plugged into ground. I'm not sure how/why/when that happened. But everything seems to be working fine now. Whoo hoo!

Farrar
05-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Excellent!

Drewlorean
05-25-2015, 02:51 PM
Thanks again for joining us!

Farrar
05-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks again for joining us!

Glad I could help. Good suggestion about the drill bit, too.

Sorry I didn't get more pictures, but my hands were effing filthy.

I at least hope y'all got an ice cream break when the power went out. I stopped by the store and got an ice cream sandwich on the way home. LOL

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-25-2015, 03:44 PM
the power went out

Does Fred not pay his power bill? Steve had to install his carb conversion in the dark too.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm confused. I thought Fred abused us taxpayers and used a government subsidy to get solar panels put on his roof.

Farrar
05-26-2015, 02:04 PM
The obvious solution is for Steve to simply point his backside at Fred's solar panels.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-26-2015, 02:38 PM
Steve shoots rays of sunlight out his butt?

(Remind me to never let Steve sit in my passenger seat).

Bill Robertson

Drewlorean
05-26-2015, 05:18 PM
I at least hope y'all got an ice cream break when the power went out. I stopped by the store and got an ice cream sandwich on the way home. LOL

Lol. Oh yeah, we definitely got some ice-cream.

Does Fred not pay his power bill? Steve had to install his carb conversion in the dark too.

Power bills are no match for tornado weather.

I'm confused. I thought Fred abused us taxpayers and used a government subsidy to get solar panels put on his roof.

Yep.. on his roof, not his shop.

I'm in Mississippi now, visiting my sister. The trip here was a breeze. 40 degree vent temp the whole time. I forgot what it was like to run the AC on positions 1 and 2.

Farrar
05-26-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm in Mississippi now, visiting my sister. The trip here was a breeze. 40 degree vent temp the whole time. I forgot what it was like to run the AC on positions 1 and 2.

Awesome! Congratulations!

stevedmc
05-26-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes sir.

Drewlorean
06-02-2015, 12:29 AM
Doesn't take long before something (kind of) fails. Lol.

Now, after a short while, my relay starts clicking rapidly, with the front fans going ONOFFONOFFONOFF. Before I replace it, are there any other known causes for this?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Buy yourself a small freon gauge (hand held low side is fine) and keep it in the cubby hole:

Without a gauge you are flying blind. You could be low on freon, or your orifice tube could be stopped up (or you've got too much freon) and tripping the high pressure switch -- only a gauge will tell.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
I wanted to say low pressure switch, high pressure switch, or orifice tube, but that's literally the majority of the system.

Incidentally, you can always make do with the Freon gauge/filler can combo they sell at Autozone.

Dracula
06-02-2015, 09:25 AM
I wanted to say low pressure switch, high pressure switch, or orifice tube, but that's literally the majority of the system.

Incidentally, you can always make do with the Freon gauge/filler can combo they sell at Autozone.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2015, 09:41 AM
I bought one of those combo units for my school bus and found it to be woefully inaccurate. You might be better off buying a McMaster gauge and making your own (http://www.mcmaster.com/#4089k61/=xg6h9r)

The little stand alone Interdynamic gauges parts houses used to sell are accurate. They show up on eBay from time to time.

Bill Robertson

Drewlorean
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Yeah I have one of those combo gauges. There's no way mine is accurate. My car would've exploded by now.

I forgot that back at Fred's, I only dumped 2 cans into the system. Today I added about half a can.. so I SHOULD be at an ok level. Compressor runs, air is cold.

The rapid clicking issue is still there. But I did notice that it only occurs at higher speeds (streets/interstate), and not when idling.

Farrar
06-02-2015, 04:02 PM
The rapid clicking issue is still there. But I did notice that it only occurs at higher speeds (streets/interstate), and not when idling.

I came across this thread (http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/ac-cycling-too-much.69015/) and found something interesting...

At such a high RPM, the compressor is working overtime - hence the rapid cycling.

Maybe your rapid cycling problem also has something to do with engine speed. Observing from the engine compartment, turn the a/c on and push the throttle to get the engine to run at about the speed it would be running if you're on the highway. See if the compressor is cycling very quickly. Then let the throttle off and see if the compressor cycles less quickly at idle.

Dracula
06-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Sounds like the high pressure switch to me.

Incidentally, about 75% of my car parts were recovered, so I'll bring the engine and a transmission to the next tech session.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Compressor spins faster at higher RPM's, at which time either high freon (or clogged orifice tube) or low freon could both cause pressures to rise/drop too much, triggering respective cutoff switches. Too much oil clogging up the bottom of the evaporator can also do it.

You really need to put a gauge on it rather than simply throwing cans of freon in. You can guesstimate a high side problem using the low side if static pressure is OK (about 100 PSI) but the system drops too much at higher RPM's, but a high side gauge will tell for sure.

Did you flush the system before recharging? Also did you pull a vacuum before recharging? Atmospheric moisture can freeze on the low side, creating yet another blockage.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-02-2015, 05:44 PM
My pressures:

Static (about 100 PSI):

Refrigerating (about 25 PSI -- I've adjusted my low pressure switch down slightly):

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Did Bill or anyone ever obtain the parts needed to make a Duraspark adapter for Jim? I've still got Jim's dead bosch unit and can bring it to the Midwest open house so we can make an adapter up there.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-05-2015, 12:46 PM
It would be easier for me to make an adapter at home. If you want me to make it, just bring the busted ECU to the Open House -- I'll pick it up there and mail the completed adapter.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Will do sir.