PDA

View Full Version : Tech day in Louisiana - Sunday May 3

stevedmc
04-23-2015, 07:47 AM
It looks like we will be having another tech day at Fred's house in Shriever, LA.

This time it is going to be all about cooling fans and radiators. Chad is coming down from Houston to have a new radiator and a set of Toby fan's installed. Drew is having Toby fans installed as well.

I went ahead and ordered a set of fans for myself too. Rumor has it that we won't have time to install all of these fans, but we will do what we can.

So here is the list of attendees so far.

Definitates:
Steve
Chad
Fred
Drew

I believe Farrar is going to try to make it, and so is Bryan (Demopar). Not sure if Jim A. or John R. have responded yet. It sounds like we will have a productive Sunday.

Drewlorean
04-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Looking forward to it!
Hopefully Fred has some Italian pastries for us to snack on.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-23-2015, 06:43 PM
It looks like we will be having another tech day at Fred's house in Shriever, LA.

This time it is going to be all about cooling fans and radiators. Chad is coming down from Houston to have a new radiator and a set of Toby fan's installed. Drew is having Toby fans installed as well.

I went ahead and ordered a set of fans for myself too. Rumor has it that we won't have time to install all of these fans, but we will do what we can.

Pre-purchase a bunch of stainless 5mm bolts, lock nuts, and washers. The fan housing has to come off to remove the old fans and install Toby's new ones. Factory bolts holding the housing to the radiator will likely snap off in the process.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-23-2015, 07:48 PM
Another one for McMaster Carr, I presume?

Is there anything special about them that I need to keep in mind when ordering?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
04-24-2015, 07:36 AM
You'll probably have more washer options in #10 machine screw size.

#10 machine screws can also be substituted for all the through bolts if you want, but upper radiator brackets have 5x.8mm studs already attached. Personally I'd stick with metric hardware the whole way around.

If you are replacing the fans with the radiator still in the car definitely bring a ratcheting 5/16 or 8mm wrench with you (for 5mm nuts).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
04-24-2015, 08:01 AM
How long are the bolts? I don't have my car handy to measure them.

Dracula
04-24-2015, 09:45 AM
I called Dave S. to get a length for the bolts as well as ordering the shroud I need and a set of bushings for the sway bar, so we're all set.

Dracula
05-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Crappy carbureted car is loaded up and leaving for Steve's in 11 hours.

stevedmc
05-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Did you throw a helicoil set in your trunk?

Dracula
05-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Did you throw a helicoil set in your trunk?

No, only a metric tap and die set. There's nothing on the fans or radiator that requires it...

Drewlorean
05-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Be sure to travel without a spare tire. Those things serve no purpose.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Did you throw a helicoil set in your trunk?No, only a metric tap and die set. There's nothing on the fans or radiator that requires it...

If the weld nuts that hold the upper radiator brackets to the crumple extension let go (they're only tack welded to the sheet metal) replace them with regular nuts accessed through the openings in the front of the extension.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Let's hope his control arms hold up.

Dracula
05-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Be sure to travel without a spare tire. Those things serve no purpose.

Way ahead of you:

Drewlorean
05-02-2015, 10:08 AM
Is that where the cocaine goes?

Farrar
05-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Wow, I have the exact same toolbox, Chad! Unfortunately, it was damaged in the move and one of the drawer-pulls is bent. It still works, though. I inherited it from my Grandfather.

Back on topic, though: Guys, I just can't do it tomorrow. I have to call someone on Monday to tell her whether I can make an event at the beginning of June. So I have to put the exhaust on my car and get the engine running ASAP so that I can see what's going on. I may need a head gasket, or I may need an engine. In the meantime, I have a British Literature final exam to study for. So I absolutely have to devote tomorrow morning to working on my car, so I can study in the afternoon.

Sorry!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-02-2015, 10:45 PM
I may need a head gasket

Unlikely a leaking head gasket would get coolant in the oil when the engine isn't running. I'd suspect the cylinder liner seals first.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-02-2015, 11:27 PM
We removed Chad's radiator this morning. Then we dropped off mom at a flower thing. Then we went to Autozone. Then we installed Chad's new radiator. Then we picked up mom from the flower thingie. Then we came back to the house and installed coolant lines and the self bleeder. We then went and got some food. Tomorrow morning we are going to pour coolant in the car and drive to the tech day. Roza didn't participate much today. Not sure if she is going to the tech day or not.

stevedmc
05-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Really wish Farrar could join us. Was looking forward to him and Chad meeting tomorrow.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Really wish Farrar could join us. Was looking forward to him and Chad meeting tomorrow.

If you're taking I-55/I-10 you'll pass a couple of miles from his apartment....

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Nope. We are stopping in Laplace and going south from there.

DeMopar
05-03-2015, 11:27 AM
I won't be able to make it today either. I was hoping to take the quarter panel out today but I guess it will just have to be next time.

stevedmc
05-03-2015, 11:44 AM
We are currently at Jims house. We fixed his car. The ignition module failed. I replaced it with my spare and he is back on the road. About to head to Freds.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-03-2015, 12:25 PM
We are currently at Jims house. We fixed his car. The ignition module failed. I replaced it with my spare and he is back on the road. About to head to Freds.

Community wisdom is those Bosch ignition modules never fail (bullshit I know: Byrne Heninger's failed too -- that's why I run a Duraspark module).

Here's a good question: what are EFI'ers going to do when their modules die? As I understand it there are already problems switching between older and newer revisions.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-03-2015, 10:18 PM
C om unity wisdom comes from people that debt drive their cos.

Farrar
05-03-2015, 10:23 PM
what are EFI'ers going to do when their modules die?

Swap in an LS1 engine. They're all the rage now.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Am I the only one to notice that pictures of Chad's fine new ride are conspicuously absent?

Bill Robertson

Dracula
05-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Am I the only one to notice that pictures of Chad's fine new ride are conspicuously absent?

Bill Robertson

You and everyone else can see it Thursday evening.

Dracula
05-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I did take one picture in which you can see part of my car:

Then there's this one of my angle drive failure; supposedly, I had a new one in the car...

Boo
05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
C om unity wisdom comes from people that debt drive their cos.

Steve is that TWI ? Typing While Intoxicated? LOL

Rich_NYS
05-05-2015, 12:02 PM
I didn't get an invite......hardass rebel pricks!

Boo
05-05-2015, 12:41 PM
If you think we are pricks here then you may not want to type in dmctalk.org into your browser. Last I saw Ass-ipiter was slinging the F word at everyone on the how to wreck your Delorean thread. He is such a total douchebag! And he is allowed by the mods there to carry on as such. The epitome of white trash. Hey that's him and I'm me and you're you. "Some people are just assholes", as I have learned in life. You ain't gonna change them, so no need to try.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-05-2015, 01:37 PM
I didn't get an invite......hardass rebel pricks!

Look what happened the last time you Yankees came down here. Made a terrible mess that took us years to clean up.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Huh?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-05-2015, 01:58 PM
It's in the history books.

Oh sure, we plundered some shoes in Pennsylvania, but Sherman and Grant plowed through the entire south like combines on nitrous.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-05-2015, 01:59 PM
Oh

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Please tell me they're still teaching southern history in Louisiana public schools.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
05-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I just took a History of New Orleans class at the University of New Orleans and it was quite fascinating.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Beast Ben Butler.

Ed Bernstein wasn't the first person to have his portrait plastered across a commode.... (Google "Ben Butler Chamber Pot")

Bill Robertson

Farrar
05-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Better yet, Google "Benjamin Butler General Order No. 28."

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Chamber pots (pre-portrait) are what led to Order 28. Quite scandalous in its day, but it did stop women from pouring the contents from all those second floor balconies.

Bill Robertson

48jeep
05-06-2015, 09:20 PM
No carpetbaggers allowed.

And they sure as hell don't teach it up north. When I was in grade school in New York, upstate, the teacher called my parents in to tell them I was a racist. All I did was side with the south.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-06-2015, 10:49 PM
The confederacy was a banana republic (GDP of the entire south was smaller than GDP of New York state). It was politically fractured (Jefferson Davis begged his congress to give him the same federal powers Lincoln simply appropriated for himself, with little regard for congress or the supreme court). And 33% of its population was owned by other human beings as property.

But it still was an audacious experiment of nation building. Morally bankrupt as long as slavery was in place of course.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
05-07-2015, 08:00 AM
When I was in grade school in New York, upstate, the teacher called my parents in to tell them I was a racist. All I did was side with the south.

Whether you were, or weren't, should be no business of the teacher/school.

I'm guessing you're white, so I'm also going to say that generally speaking you probably aren't a racist.

I'd also bet this same teacher has not/will never accuse a non-white person of racism......which in my mind makes her(?) a racist.

stevedmc
05-07-2015, 08:33 AM
I used to be white before I wasn't white.

Dracula
05-07-2015, 08:47 AM
The correct term is "Anglo-Saxon-Americans." Referring to us by a visible trait like skin pigmentation is racist, so we must, instead, be referred to by a geographic region that yielded the majority of our genetic lineage, but ultimately has no bearing on the amount of melanin possessed by an individual in the modern, global world.

Rich_NYS
05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I have a 4-syllable limit. An-glo Sax-on A-mer-i-can is too many for me, as is any other hyphenated form of 'murican.

Most often I hear used is: "Af-ri-can A-mer-i-can, which I find funny not only hearing when people say it ('cause it's too damn long so they try to say it quickly,) but also because there are plenty of Blacks that aren't from Africa (I think.) But I guess by the hyphenated standard we should drop the [easy] single-syllable "White," and replace it with: Eur-o-pe-an A-mer-i-can 'cause nothing should ever make sense these days.

The city I used to live in has a huge Hispanic population...mostly Puerto Rican. One of my Costa Rican friends (born in CR, has dual-citizenship) would get aggravated when he was referred to as: "Puerto Rican." I guess it would seem just as odd if one day all Whites were referred to as: "UkranianAmerican." -lol!

Boo
05-07-2015, 09:46 AM
On the PA today the principal of my high school stated that a Black male was approaching children in the area asking them to get in his car. He read it straight from the police report. "Black male"
In class, no matter what adults say the students claim almost every statement is racist. That's our 'lovely' president. Just as oral sex isn't sex as Clinton made the youth aware. Now we have what are known as 'bathroom queens' giving head to boys one after the other in the boys bathroom. It's not sex so it's gotta be ok. In fact it is a type of sex but Clinton had no other way to make an excuse for cheating on Hillary. That would be funny, a president who's husband lied to her as he cheated on her again and again and she didnt stand up to him, but she is supposed to stand up to our enemies? Good luck with that!
It is not illegal to be racist, just as its not illegal to like ice cream of the chocolate variety.
The biggest racists in out country are Jesse Jackson and Alfred Sharpton, hands down (whether they are white, black, or green hands)

Rich_NYS
05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
The biggest racists in out country are Jesse Jackson and Alfred Sharpton, hands down (whether they are white, black, or green hands)

Roger that, and there are many more just like them (e.g. a large number of black people that voted against their political position, but for BHO.)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-07-2015, 10:12 AM
The correct term is "Anglo-Saxon-Americans." Referring to us by a visible trait like skin pigmentation is racist, so we must, instead, be referred to by a geographic region that yielded the majority of our genetic lineage, but ultimately has no bearing on the amount of melanin possessed by an individual in the modern, global world.

Which is ridiculous. If you saw me across the room, and had no idea who I was, you would reference me by what you could see: blue shirt, graying hair, eyeglasses, and yes -- white skin. All you are doing is pointing out what is readily visible to everyone else in the room, for no other reason than to differentiate me or identify me in particular (versus the guy in the green shirt, blonde hair, beard, etc).

That said, there still exists a strong undercurrent of latent racism which makes the above problematic. I encounter it almost every day. Kind of hard for a person to use "black" as a neutral descriptor when that same person makes generalizations about all black people. Therein lies the problem. All "white" people are not neo Nazis (or even worse: Downton Abbey fanatics). All "black" people are not welfare queens. All "hispanic" (in lieu of "brown") people are not alcoholics. As the good doctor said, people need to be judged by the content of their character, not the color of their skin. When that happens, pigmentation becomes nothing more than "red shirt" or "black hair".

"Big boobs" as a descriptor will always carry latent undertones. Sorry ladies, we can't help it (it's in our DNA -- even as babies, boys can't keep their hands to themselves). No matter how neutrally we try to use the term when referencing you across the room, you know what we're thinking. Sincerest apologies.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
05-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I just tell people I'm an American. If they need clarification as to my ethnicity, I tell them I'm a mutt.

Boo
05-07-2015, 12:49 PM
I just tell people I'm an American. If they need clarification as to my ethnicity, I tell them I'm a butt.

Fixed that for ya!

;)

Boo
05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
"Big boobs" as a descriptor will always carry latent undertones. Sorry ladies, we can't help it (it's in our DNA -- even as babies, boys can't keep their hands to themselves).

Bill Robertson

Trying to go for women with bigger boobs so they can properly feed our children with their mammary glands is an evolutionary advantage for men. In our DNA allright.

Farrar
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Fixed that for ya!

;)

I don't get it, but since Lou has decided that he doesn't like me because he has confused me for someone who is easily upset by little jokes, I guess I will have to go away and let him play with his own friends.

Boo
05-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I don't get it, but since Lou has decided that he doesn't like me because he has confused me for someone who is easily upset by little jokes, I guess I will have to go away and let him play with his own friends.

Again, not disliking you not am I confusing you with anyone else. This was just a silly joke to make you laugh. I didnt realize you couldnt find your sense of humor. Come on ! Mutt / Butt - that's funny!
I don't say things to try to make people upset. I simply state the truth, which some people can't handle when it comes to them.
Just being honest , as usual. Not trying to piss you off. Why is honesty so hidden?
Carry on.

Rich_NYS
05-07-2015, 02:52 PM
I just tell people I'm an American. If they need clarification as to my ethnicity, I tell them I'm a mutt.

:cheers: