PDA

View Full Version : DMC Midwest 2015 Customer Open House!!

DMCMW Julee
01-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Giving you all a heads up for our 5th BIENNIAL DMC MIDWEST CUSTOMER OPEN HOUSE on SATURDAY, JUNE 20 2015 (Father's Day Weekend).

As usual, this event (RSVP required) is a great opportunity for Dave and I to say thank you to the DeLorean Community as well as giving you all a chance to connect and break bread with other owners this summer.

Keep an eye on this thread for more specific details as we get closer to the date.

DMC Midwest (Dave, Julee, Mike, Jonathan, Alex and families) look forward to seeing many of your familiar faces as well as some new friends!

Feel free to email or call me if you have any questions. :)

Duplicate Account
01-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Giving you all a heads up for our 5th BIENNIAL DMC MIDWEST CUSTOMER OPEN HOUSE on SATURDAY, JUNE 20 2015 (Father's Day Weekend).

As usual, this event (RSVP required) is a great opportunity for Dave and I to say thank you to the DeLorean Community as well as giving you all a chance to connect and break bread with other owners this summer.

Keep an eye on this thread for more specific details as we get closer to the date.

DMC Midwest (Dave, Julee, Mike, Jonathan, Alex and families) look forward to seeing many of your familiar faces as well as some new friends!

Feel free to email or call me if you have any questions. :)

Thanks Julee! Will bring my Dad and finally meet you guys.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
I could drive over via DC (I have friends & family in the DC area) if anyone wants to caravan, otherwise I'll just straight drive up through West Virginia.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
01-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Me and Roza will be there. Can someone bring cheerwine in 12 once cans?

tom kish vin.4357
01-15-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm going to try and make it.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
01-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Me and Roza will be there. Can someone bring cheerwine in 12 once cans?

http://www.cheerwine.com/products/cans/diet-cheerwine-24-pack.html

For the uninitiated: notice the total lack of sodium content. Diet Cheerwine uses Sucralose, not Aspartame which is a sodium molecule (among its other unfriendly attributes).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
I'll be there; looking forward to the drive.

DMCMW Julee
01-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Great! Make sure to let me know (by email or phone) if you are coming alone or bringing a spouse/significant other in order to have an accurate food count. :)

Dracula
01-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Looks like it's just going to be me; apparently, some people don't want to spend 18 hours in a car driving...

If anyone wants to ride with me, I'd welcome the company.

Boglin
01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
I will attend provided that you guys get my car back to me by that time. :)

Boo
01-15-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm going to try and make it.

You are you to try to make CheerWine?!? That's awesome! It's a legend you know!

tom kish vin.4357
01-15-2015, 05:46 PM
You are you to try to make CheerWine?!? That's awesome! It's a legend you know!

So are you Lou---so are you

Farrar
01-16-2015, 04:03 PM
I'll be there in spirit!

DMCMW Julee
04-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Hey all! We are getting closer to our June 20th Customer Open House so I thought I would pass on some hotel info for those of you making the trip. Our Block preferred rate of $79.00 is set up for you at:

Comfort Inn
595 E Tracy Trail
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
815-444-0040

Rooms are held under "DeLorean Open House Block" for Friday and Saturday. Make sure to mention this when making your reservation.
This rate is for non-smoking rooms and includes their complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet, Wireless High Speed Internet, and Parking. You can also enjoy the pool and fitness room if you are so inclined. If anyone needs the local complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to our shop, make sure you let the them know this as well when you make your reservation.

Other local hotels are:

Holiday Inn - 815-477-7000
Country Inn & Suites - 815-477-3500
Super 8 - 815-788-8888

I do not have a preferred rate or block set up with these but for those of you who have frequent visitor status with any of them, this might be a good option for you.

Looking forward to seeing you all! :)

Dracula
04-10-2015, 07:09 PM
I may actually have to get a hotel room this time...

tom kish vin.4357
04-10-2015, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=DMCMW Julee;29824]Hey all! We are getting closer to our June 20th Customer Open House so I thought I would pass on some hotel info for those of you making the trip. Our Block preferred rate of $79.00 is set up for you at:

Hi Julee, going to try and be there. One question-- at DCS Steve was looking for 20 people for his room, have you set up a special preferred rate for Steve?

Dracula
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
If there's a room share plan, I'm interested.

tom kish vin.4357
04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
If there's a room share plan, I'm interested.

You better talk to Steve!!

Boo
04-10-2015, 11:01 PM
So are you Lou---so are you

Oh quit it Tom, I ain't no legend.
We all know that!

stevedmc
04-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Last time I shared a room with Jim Reeve at the open house. You guys might want to check with him.

I'm 99% sure Roza won't go for me cramming a zillion people into a room for this trip. But the good news is the room is only $79 a night.

Room sharing is almost a necessity a DCS because those rooms typically cost $150 a night.

Rich_NYS
04-11-2015, 02:51 PM
If I figure out a way to go (without disrupting my household,) I might be up for a room share...

DMCMW Julee
05-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Hey all! We are getting closer to our June 20th Customer Open House so I thought I would pass on some hotel info for those of you making the trip. Our Block preferred rate of $79.00 is set up for you at:

Comfort Inn
595 E Tracy Trail
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
815-444-0040

Rooms are held under "DeLorean Open House Block" for Friday and Saturday. Make sure to mention this when making your reservation.
This rate is for non-smoking rooms and includes their complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet, Wireless High Speed Internet, and Parking. You can also enjoy the pool and fitness room if you are so inclined. If anyone needs the local complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to our shop, make sure you let the them know this as well when you make your reservation.

Other local hotels are:

Holiday Inn - 815-477-7000
Country Inn & Suites - 815-477-3500
Super 8 - 815-788-8888

I do not have a preferred rate or block set up with these but for those of you who have frequent visitor status with any of them, this might be a good option for you.

Looking forward to seeing you all! :)

Just a reminder to make your hotel reservations for our Open House on June 20th. Outside of our Block the hotel is filling up so make sure you call to hold a room. :)

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
05-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Doubles are gone. They still have Kings at the same rate.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
05-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Just made my reservation. They only had king size beds available. No doubles.

DMCMW Julee
05-14-2015, 02:07 PM
There may be no more Doubles for Friday night but should be available for Saturday night. Kings are available both nights. I will try to get more Doubles for Friday if possible. June is Wedding season too so rooms get booked fast!

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 04:09 AM
I'll be attending with #1798 (still need to RSVP Julee, unless this post covers that)!

DMCMW Julee
06-11-2015, 07:08 AM
Covered Josh!

By the way, more rooms have opened up at the Comfort Inn for Friday and Saturday nights.

Dracula
06-11-2015, 07:48 AM
I'll be attending with #1798 (still to RSVP Julee, unless this post covers that)!

Looking forward to finally meeting you.

Mark D
06-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I'll be attending with #1798 (still to RSVP Julee, unless this post covers that)!

I'm pretty bummed that I won't be able to make it to the open house. I was especially looking forward to meeting you Josh and witnessing first hand the glory of your original Dunmurry spec brake fluid :D.

DMCMW Julee
06-11-2015, 11:32 AM
We will miss you Mark. :(

BTW - The room block closes on Saturday so if anyone hasn't reserved a room please do so now!

Mark D
06-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks Julee, I'll may end up stopping by DMCMW somtime later this summer during a trip I'm planning with my family to the Chicago area. In the mean time I'm working on a list of parts to order for pulling my transmission to fix the 2nd gear roll pin issue. I'm thinking I'll send you a parts list and pay in advance, then pick everything up while we're down there. Dave has already helped me out with a few things to add to my list.

Hope you get a good turnout for the open house!

DMCMW Julee
06-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks. I look forward to seeing you and family in the not to distant future then. :)

stevedmc
06-11-2015, 10:18 PM
They might even have rooms with two beds available.

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Looking forward to finally meeting you.

Ditto - it should be a most excellent time!

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty bummed that I won't be able to make it to the open house. I was especially looking forward to meeting you Josh and witnessing first hand the glory of your original Dunmurry spec brake fluid :D.

:rain: Well, that sucks....

Maybe we can put together a small Wisco event sometime this summer. Do you attend any of the Madison Classics shows or attend a weekly cruise night in the area?

BTW - Factory hydraulic fluid still going strong on the clutch (but admittedly looks terrible) :biggrin:

Dead Lesbian Goat
06-11-2015, 11:43 PM
BTW - Factory hydraulic fluid still going strong on the clutch (but admittedly looks terrible) :biggrin:

-1/2 point for modifying your clutch fluid.

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 11:46 PM
Covered Josh!

Thanks Julee - look forward to seeing you then!

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 11:48 PM
They might even have rooms with two beds available.

If you keep talking to me like that, Roza is bound to get jealous :p

NightFlyer
06-11-2015, 11:55 PM
-1/2 point for modifying your clutch fluid.

Hey now, I don't see a funny hat on your head....

http://pinehurstconcours.com/Media/Images/chief%20judge%20nigel-1.jpg

Farrar
06-12-2015, 09:01 PM
*sigh* Man, I never get to any open houses. :(

stevedmc
06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
*sigh* Man, I never get to any open houses. :(

You've gotta put down the duckie if you wanna play the saxophone.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 12:43 PM
I decided to treat myself to a mechanical fuel pump for the big trip to Chicago:

5116 5117

Electric pump is still in the tank, attached to an on/off switch under the dashboard:

If the mechanical pump ever fails I can flip the switch, energize the electric pump, and keep on truckin'. Electric pump also has a check valve so fuel won't drain back to the tank when the engine is turned off.

New fuel filter (woo woo):

Cost me $3 and took me 3 minutes to install (hoses have to be measured and cut to length).

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-16-2015, 12:51 PM
I assume you swapped out the Autozone pump with a flow-through unit, right?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 12:58 PM
It's the standard Airtex E8012S. You can pull through it frontwards (unenergized) no problem.

I will bring a fuel pump carrier and another pump for your car with me. Still waiting for what's left of Laurinburg Machine Company to bend some fuel filter brackets (I have one vise bent bracket I can bring if they don't finish them by tomorrow). I'll also try to get a plastic air filter lid made. Do you need a tuna fish baffle?

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-16-2015, 01:10 PM
I will need a baffle.

Thursday at about 10:00 PM I'll be heading out.

As long as my car is willing, I'll see you all Saturday.

stevedmc
06-16-2015, 01:18 PM
I don't know for certain yet but Roza might be staying home to take care of a sick cat. If this happens I will be canceling my room and looking to share a room to split costs.

Is Bill planning to sit in a room all by himself?

Dracula
06-16-2015, 01:27 PM
If you need to split a hotel on the way up, let me know. I'm all for saving as much as possible.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Is Bill planning to sit in a room all by himself?

At the moment I am all alone in my whirlpool jacuzzi suite (that's all the motel had available when I made my reservation). Only one king size bed, but in theory the room has a honeymoon tub where the other bed would be.

I would not be at all opposed to sharing a double room. As Steve can attest, by splitting the mattresses off the box springs a double can be transformed into a quadruple. Nice lady at the front desk verified they have extra bedding & pillows. Obviously I would need to cancel my love nest and move in with someone else.

Comfort Inn's cancellation policy is "mid day" of the check-in day. I hit the road Thursday morning, so if people are spring breaking it I probably should cancel the love shack before leaving Laurinburg.

I do have a double reserved for Sunday night (I am going into the city Sunday to see what I can see). Commuter train station is right next to the motel. $8 unlimited weekend fare. Anyone looking to do the same is welcome to share that normal room.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-16-2015, 03:00 PM
My double room is for Friday and Saturday night. I'd much rather keep my room and share it than end up sharing a single bed with Bill.

I should have a definite answer when I hit the road either tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

Boo
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM
I like the idea of the mechanical AND electric fuel pump run in the same line.
I don't see the mechanical one failing, but its nice to have a backup at the flip of a switch!

Are there advantages of the electric over the mechanical pump? For carb owners of course...

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 03:46 PM
My first electric pump lasted more than 4 years, and would probably have lasted longer if it hadn't sucked up a piece of Hervey epoxy (at that time I was using one of Hervey's pickup screens with the hose barb epoxied on).

Since then I have had hit & miss success with the exact same model pump (Airtex E8012S). Failure is in the pump itself, not the electromagnet, so I suspect it's a seal going bad from ever increasing alcohol content in the fuel. I did notice the latest pump I bought was advertised as "compatible with today's gasoline formulations" on the box, so hopefully Airtex has figured out a different type of rubber. BTW: Autozone's house brand is made by Airtex now. Box says something like "Duralast," but the pump inside is clearly an Airtex unit.

I had good success for a year or two with a Spectra brand rotary pump, but on the way to Farrar's wedding it suddenly stopped spinning. Didn't even try to make any noise. Fortunately Autozone had gone to lifetime warranties when I bought it, so I picked up a free replacement and installed it before continuing south.

Speaking of which: Advance warranty records are only kept at the store where you bought the part. If you need to do a warranty replacement while traveling you are SOL unless you happen to have the receipt with you. Autozone is far from perfect, but its warranty system is at least nationwide.

I am having surprisingly good success with the mechanical pumps in my trucks, ethanol notwithstanding. All I can figure is they are driven every single day, which must have something to do with it. My friend in DC who uses my Green Truck has had the same experience, but just lost the fuel pump in his occasionally driven F200.

I need some way to interface the fuel line to the tank, so I don't mind having an electric pump in there at all. It's either that or a fuel filter Steve has sourced that also has the same OD. Personally I'd rather have a pump than a filter just in case it's ever needed (assuming the seal inside hasn't gone bad in the interim).

BTW: ethanol is tearing up my fuel tank boot too. It is a gooey gummy mess now (Julee has a replacement waiting for me at the Open House). My first fuel tank boot (pre-ethanol) didn't turn into goo but rather became petrified and hard. Two very different failures of what is ostensibly the same part.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
06-16-2015, 07:04 PM
I decided to treat myself to a mechanical fuel pump for the big trip to Chicago:

Electric pump is still in the tank, attached to an on/off switch under the dashboard:

If the mechanical pump ever fails I can flip the switch, energize the electric pump, and keep on truckin'. Electric pump also has a check valve so fuel won't drain back to the tank when the engine is turned off.

Bill Robertson

That's completely awesome....I might copy that someday!

Now....I'm demanding this thread be shut down immediately, and I want to see no more talk of the open house. It's bumming me out that I'm not going, so all you guys stop talking about it dammit!

(We just got back from Disney, I just couldn't breech the mental hurdle of spending a few more grand in such a short period of time.)

stevedmc
06-16-2015, 07:05 PM
Just buy a plane ticket and fly out for the weekend. Roza is still talking about staying home so we should be sharing a room.

Dracula
06-16-2015, 07:29 PM
The round trip will cost me about $250.00 in gas; a little fastidious budgeting and the whole trip is easily under $500.00

Boo
06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Bill, when did we first meet,? When did i buy your carb kit? That would be how old my fuel pump is...and it does sit quite a bit. I do put stabil in the tank before winter comes...but im sure my fuel pump and boot is pretty gooey nonetheless.

Boo
06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Chad,
I like your avatar title..

Rich_NYS
06-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Just buy a plane ticket and fly out for the weekend. Roza is still talking about staying home so we should be sharing a room.

If it wasn't Father's Day weekend I really would. If I were to fly out this weekend I'd need to bring both my kids.....3X plane fare @ $500 per ticket.

We'll be backpacking 2 miles into the woods instead, and looking forward to DCS 2016 yo!

The round trip will cost me about $250.00 in gas; a little fastidious budgeting and the whole trip is easily under $500.00

If I was able to arrive solo, I could drive and it would probably cost about the same as your trip for gas.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Autozone has changed their packaging again. Now it's being marketed as a Spectra pump, but you can clearly see that the pump is Airtex:

Lifetime warranty, so you only pay for it once ($44). Stock item at any parts house so roadside failure isn't the end of the world, but carry a spare otherwise you're limping to the parts house on a Coke bottle and a funnel. Free replacement at Autozone only of course.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-16-2015, 08:49 PM
While buying Chad's pump I learned something else tonight: Advance purges its warranty histories after 12 months. Autozone is far from perfect (it used to be better), but just in terms of warranty replacement it runs circles around Advance.

Bill Robertson

Boo
06-17-2015, 07:14 AM
Ooooh Bill in a honeymoon hottub ?!? Now I wish I was there !!

Just feeding into this for Michael's amusement.

dustybarn
06-17-2015, 09:48 AM

5116 5117

New fuel filter (woo woo):

Cost me $3 and took me 3 minutes to install (hoses have to be measured and cut to length).

Bill Robertson

That looks like the same Airtex (actually Sofabex) part Andrew and I are both using on our Solexed cars. Neither of us have retained the in-tank pump though, we've both got a Fram fuel filter in there instead.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Steve and Chad are running fuel filters too, with their electric pumps loose on top of the tank (I am making Chad an in tank carrier for his pump).

I assume the second pump outlet is for the second Solex carb. Since I only need one outlet I ran the hose under the intake manifold and plugged it there. Figured it would pose the least risk in case of a leak under there (I don't have any electrical connections under my intake). Couldn't plug it at the pump itself without making intake manifold removal more difficult. This way I can throw the hose off to one side then push it back underneath after the intake is back in place. Would have been nice to get a single outlet pump but those were probably only spec'd for Volvo A Series, which was never imported into North America.

My pump came with totally smooth hose barbs, so I flared the ends to act like a ridge.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Forgot to mention: I repurposed my old K-Jet return plumbing for the fuel line (removed the accumulator and plugged the tee under the car). Left my original rubber fuel line in place in case I ever need it. For now it's stuck into the old evaporative emissions pipe (tank breathes from the front of the car all the way to the rear then back to the front).

Bill Robertson

dustybarn
06-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Steve and Chad are running fuel filters too, with their electric pumps loose on top of the tank (I am making Chad an in tank carrier for his pump).

I assume the second pump outlet is for the second Solex carb. Since I only need one outlet I ran the hose under the intake manifold and plugged it there. Figured it would pose the least risk in case of a leak under there (I don't have any electrical connections under my intake). Couldn't plug it at the pump itself without making intake manifold removal more difficult. This way I can throw the hose off to one side then push it back underneath after the intake is back in place. Would have been nice to get a single outlet pump but those were probably only spec'd for Volvo A Series, which was never imported into North America.

My pump came with totally smooth hose barbs, so I flared the ends to act like a ridge.

Bill Robertson

I think the second outlet may have been intended as a vapor bleed. The connection to the Solex secondary is on the primary (it has two barbs). On my mechanical pump the 2nd outlet has a tiny restrictor built into it; I connected it to the K-jet return line.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
I used that as my primary outlet. It is 1/4", which matches the rest of my fuel system (I had to adapt the original K-Jet return barb up to 5/16" -- tried unscrewing the 1/4" Dunmurry barb to replace it with a 5/16" barb but it isn't going anywhere) and it is better located to reach my fuel filter. Using the other 5/16" pump barb would require a pretty sharp U turn.

When I first test fired the pump I left the 1/4" barb open (couldn't figure out what it was for -- doesn't look like either of the primary barbs, and even is a different color) and it shot fuel 4 feet into the air, so I figured it would work fine as the primary outlet. Last night I test drove the car at 6,000 RPM no problem, so I don't anticipate any problems using it as my primary outlet.

I'll bring a 5/16" to 1/4" adapter with me just in case I do need to use the other pump barb.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Multiple choice: which of the following is a sure sign of the approaching apocalypse:
a) Lion lays down with the lamb
b) Mitch O'Connell has a beer with Barack Obama
c) Bill washes his DeLorean

Just checked Chicago's weather forecast: mid 70's to lower 80's, with varying chances of rain. Sounds like heaven -- we've been bouncing both sides of 100 all week and are dry as a bone.

Bill Robertson

Boglin
06-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Do yourself a favor and pickup some Rockit Oil Lustre from Home Depot.

stevedmc
06-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Don't forget to bring the Cheerwine. 12 ounce cans will work best since there is going to be a big ice chest foe the drinks.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Any news on the Crystal Lake motel room?

Car is already packed so I should be able to hit the road between 8:00 and 9:00. Will put me on the other side of Indianapolis by bedtime and into Crystal Lake around lunchtime Friday. If there's nothing going on I'll probably catch a train into the city. I'll have the cell phone with me. Might even turn the damn thing on.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I'll catch up with everyone Saturday; I'll be driving all night Thursday.

Incidentally, what time is everyone arriving?

I'll be in a nearby Motel 6 on Friday, assuming everything goes smoothly.

stevedmc
06-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Unless anything changes in the morning, I should be going solo for this trip.

Game plan is to change the oil tomorrow morning and then hit the road sometime around 10am. I plan to do half the driving tomorrow and the rest on Friday. I should be arriving late Friday afternoon.

I can give Bill a call sometime tomorrow to confirm that I am on the road solo.

My hotel reservation is for Friday and Saturday night. I'll gladly keep the reservation and invite whoever wants to save some money into the room. We had five people in the room at DCS and it worked out very well.

Dracula
06-17-2015, 11:11 PM
I'm in for Friday night.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-17-2015, 11:33 PM
I've got a Sunday night double reservation at the same rate if anyone wants to join me at the Science & Industry Museum Sunday. They have the only WW II German U Boat in the United States (one of six captured during the war).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-18-2015, 04:33 PM
I got tied up today installing cruise control in the Delorean. I wanted to leave this morning but I figured the ride would be a lot more enjoyable with cruise control.

Anyway, please let David Teitlebam know that I've checked my coolant, oil and tire pressure.

My rear driver side tired had almost 40 lbs of pressure in it. I let air out of the tire until it was about 32 lbs thank you very much.

The remaining tires in the car were within spec but I added a little to each tire. I'm driving on 28 lbs in the front and 32 in the back.

My spare tire was low. It had 30 lbs in it. I filled it up just a hair over 40 lbs.

I've got tools, spare belts, extra fuel pump, and a few other goodies.

Hopefully something goes wrong so Teitlebaum can call me an idiot.

It's about 900 miles to Crystal Lake from my house. Will Teitlebaum be joining us?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

stevedmc
06-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Oh, back on topic. I'm leaving in about an hour and expect to be at the hotel early tomorrow evening.

Once again, I've got a room with two beds and Roza isn't able to make it.

Bill better cancel his hotel reservation for Friday and Saturday night.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Dracula
06-18-2015, 05:47 PM
I'll be leaving in about 15 minutes; if my calculations are correct, I should be arriving at the hotel in Illinois at around 7:00 PM tomorrow.

stevedmc
06-19-2015, 12:12 AM
It looks like Teitlebaum almost won. My water pump belt decided to go pop a few hours ago. Fortunately I carry spare belts.

Dracula
06-19-2015, 12:48 AM
I got stopped for the night outside of Little Rock, Arkansas due to the rain; can't see 10 feet in front of me.

Alan
06-19-2015, 09:37 AM
On the road heading towards DMCMW. We should be there by mid afternoon in time to pick up 1121. This will be our first event with our own DeLorean. (We're a little excited). So far our drive has been great. I hope everyone's is.

Boo
06-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Pictures or there was no open house (in my best Bill Robertson voice)

Annotations on or under (or above) pics to say who's in them always helps!

Is Michael going to this???

stevedmc
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Cant. We got kicked out.

Dead Lesbian Goat
06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Is Michael going to this???

No, I have to go to Baton Rouge. Some chick down there finally got her husband out of the house for a few days. She pretended the cat was sick.

stevedmc
06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Nice

DMCMW Julee
06-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Got to make the place presentable gentlemen! ;)

Dracula
06-19-2015, 07:32 PM
I made it to within 40 miles of DMCMW; something is grinding and scraping badly, but I can't see what it is.

I was hoping that losing my windshield wipers in the middle of a downpour was going to be the most exciting part of this trip.

At least I have AAA and can have it towed the rest of the way. I'm going to be late, but I will have made it; over 1100 miles by DeLorean, too.

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 04:06 PM
For Lou. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/20/4ef699df920b4c0f58c678ae43fb928c.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/20/0fbc287ab79bb2f2f698c1d21033e4f3.jpg

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 04:07 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/20/cc9963b865633a1d3b9d43b62bebe6f2.jpg

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 04:07 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/20/193dd04816d4034b3f10d3a44c209d01.jpg

tom kish vin.4357
06-20-2015, 07:53 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/20/cc9963b865633a1d3b9d43b62bebe6f2.jpg

Thanks for the photo of my car steve.

Boglin
06-20-2015, 09:02 PM
What's going on with Chad's car? Did he make it there?

Dracula
06-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Made it on a flatbed; all fixed now.

Boo
06-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Chad what was the problem?

Steve thanks for the pics ... How about a group photo of the DMC todayers ?

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 09:26 PM
It was broken. We fixed it last night.

tom kish vin.4357
06-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Well there was Honest Tom, and Steve, and Bill, and Chad, and Night Josh Cryer

Boo
06-20-2015, 10:09 PM
I get that it was broken. I was looking for a more detailed account of what was 'broken' and making the scraping sound Chad described.

Dead Lesbian Goat
06-20-2015, 10:17 PM
I get that it was broken. I was looking for a more detailed account of what was 'broken' and making the scraping sound Chad described.

His DeLorean was broken and the car is what was making the scraping sound.

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Yeah. We repaired it by using a wrench.

Boglin
06-20-2015, 10:21 PM

Dig Lou, diiiiiiiig!

tom kish vin.4357
06-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Well there was Honest Tom, and Steve, and Bill, and Chad, and Night Josh Cryer

I yea and Steve met some guy named Tamir there, maybe if this Tamir gets kicked off talk Steve will open up a spot here!!!

stevedmc
06-20-2015, 10:43 PM
Yeah. Tamir was cool. Someone should have taken a picture of us hugging.

Dracula
06-20-2015, 11:53 PM
The right front brake disc bolts came loose and it was wobbling on the hub.

Domi
06-21-2015, 03:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your pictures :)

Boo
06-21-2015, 10:24 AM
And that wasnt a "Robertson roadside fix"?

Boo
06-21-2015, 10:59 AM
I can definitely pick Chad out in some pics in his "as seen on tv" red shirt.
Those may have pics on DMCMW Facebook though.

DMC5180
06-21-2015, 11:06 AM
It was great to see and chat with the DMCTODAY troops yesterday. As always the life of party.

Chad, I hope your fender swap went without to much difficulty. Was there anything else you going to have Dave do before your trip home?

stevedmc
06-21-2015, 11:10 AM
I wish someone would have snapped a picture of me and Tamir giving each other a hug.

Boo
06-21-2015, 11:26 AM
Oh Steve , you'll just have to cherish that moment in your man-mories .

Good thing Roza doesn't read this site or she'd worry about you dwelling about your hug with Tamir.
:p

Rich_NYS
06-21-2015, 11:54 AM
While you pricks were hugging & having a good time, I was 2 miles into the woods battling a prehistoric snapping turtle that was eating the fish off my kids' stringer!

cat
06-21-2015, 02:09 PM
I wish someone would have snapped a picture of me and Tamir giving each other a hug.

I didn't get a picture but I did witness it.

I suggested a boxing ring.

I thought that would be way more fun to watch than all the hugs and kisses.

Andrew
06-21-2015, 11:23 PM
5052 and I made it back home about an hour ago. The entire trip went without incident. It was great seeing everyone! Special thanks to Dave and Julee for hosting such a great event. Hope everyone makes it home safely!

stevedmc
06-22-2015, 07:20 AM
Made it home around 1:30 am today. I had a great time at the open house. Thanks again Julee and Dave.

NightFlyer
06-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Made it home around 1:30 am today. I had a great time at the open house. Thanks again Julee and Dave.

Glad to hear you made it back A-OK!

It was great getting to hang out with part of the Today family and I had a most excellent time :headbang:

NightFlyer
06-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Some pics from the Open House of the Today crew doing what we do best!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 01:51 AM
Crappy carbureted DeLorean is back in Laurinburg.

Circa 2007 Houston angle drive worked flawlessly (clicked off 1,933 miles), but I did suffer two other component failures less than 300 miles into the trip:

Ignition tumbler is completely jambed:

I will pull it off the column and see if my local locksmith can disassemble & repair it. For the trip I just energized and de-energized the Main and Aux relays manually, and jumped the starter from the engine compartment (I don't have a start inhibit relay anymore so I couldn't jump the starter from inside the car). I always travel with a spare key so I was able to lock the doors OK.

And the ballast resistors failed:

This one took me a while to figure out. First thought it was a mechanical pump failure (bowl was empty, later I surmised because the engine wasn't spinning, but failing ignition does feel suspiciously like an empty bowl: no power, no response to the throttle plates as the engine is dying, etc). Discovered you can't push through an intact mechanical pump, so I reactivated the old fuel line attached to the electric pump but problem continued (took about 5-10 miles each time to crop up). Switched to the Bosch ignition module and limped to another exit. Found a parts house, swapped out the coil, and limped to another exit. Figuring the ballast resistors were the only component not yet replaced, I measured them at something like 26 and 30 ohm. Bypassed the damn things altogether and problem went away. Pontificators and prevaricators are hereby cordially invited to kiss my butt -- if you run a Pertronix coil at least you do not need a single resistor in the supply wire. Pertronix coils are perfectly happy at full charging voltage. Just drove 1,600 miles that way no problem, thank you very much.

Crystal Lake is almost exactly 16 hours from Laurinburg with one meal stop. Slightly longer when you're limping from exit to exit trying to diagnose what the f*ck is wrong with your ignition.

I reactivated the mechanical pump for the trip home (960 miles). Worked just fine through the mountains of West Virginia. I think I am going to try to properly tap and plug the unused barb (Airtex pump has two outlets).

Stopped by DMCMW on my way out of town but Julee wasn't in yet. Or she was hiding in the back with the blinds closed waiting for me to go away.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 02:00 AM
No one accepted my offer to test drive #5939, but Andrew did ride in the passenger seat on the way to supper. He rates it every bit as fast as his dual Solex setup (basically Renault Alpine).

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-23-2015, 02:06 AM
Glad that Bill made it home without his car killing anyone :biggrin:

Given that it took 5-10 min before the ballast resistor problem cropped up each time, I don't know that I ever would have even suspected them as being the problem, hence I probably never would have checked them. Great job on figuring that one out :thumbup:

Hope that you enjoyed Chicago and the WWII captured Nazi U-boat!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 08:29 AM
Resistors were the last thing I checked. I could have saved myself a lot of time and the cost of a new coil if I had checked them first.

I had to catch them in the act. Without any voltage passing through them they read deceptively normally. Just now they both read .8 ohms. When I showed Steve they were about 1. And they cool down enough to start working again: after sitting dead on the side of the road for 5 or 10 minutes the car would restart and drive normally to the next exit. That's what was so maddening -- I was limping from exit to exit replacing the usual culprits, and the car would behave normally just long enough for me to get back into the middle of nowhere before cutting off.

One thing that was different from running out of fuel is the engine would start missing real badly (bucking & jerking) for just a few seconds before losing power and throttle plate response. If you let off on the gas and went back to idle the instant it started missing I could coast on the shoulder long enough for the resistors to cool off and pull back onto the highway (downhill). And of course the engine would fire up happy as a clam after sitting on the side of the road for several minutes. It felt very similar to what Louis' car sometimes does, albeit Louis' car doesn't die thereafter (Louis: if you are running a Pertronix coil, try bypassing the resistor grid altogether and see if that makes the problem go away).

Ballast resistors are one of those "never goes bad" parts, just like ignition modules (can I hear an "Amen" Byrne and Jim?). I guess on a car that only drives one Teitelbaum per year they may indeed last forever. But anything that puts up electrical resistance will eventually burn out: oven element, hot water heater element, even the spring on my electric choke cap (or the bimetallic element in the rest of your all's CPR's and TTS's). I made it this far without any problem so I guess I can't complain, but it was a frustrating start to what turned out to be a very nice trip.

(That said, anybody who tells you their DeLorean is the most comfortable car they've ever driven is just plain lying -- seat is too narrow and you get a butt ache after 12 hours).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Bill obviously hasn't tried cruise control in a Delorean. It's pretty comfortable when you aren't pushing a gas pedal for 16 hours.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 08:40 AM
Feet were fine. It's my butt and lower back that start killing me. I have to raise myself up in the seat by my shoulder blades to take the pressure off.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-23-2015, 08:42 AM
You should try the saggy seat fix. It made a world of difference for me. Here is the $10,000 question. How does the new owner of Brandon's car like his seats?

Boo
06-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Bill, I have a summit 60,000 volt coil. I have often thought of bypassing the resistor and allowing it full power anyway. I think that's how I have it hooked up anyway. It's been so long since I looked at my Delorean. Once this infected colon of mine subsides, I can finish my Fiero engine swap and go back to the Delorean world. My lower abdomen hurts so bad, especially when I take a full breath in or breathe out completely. And then out of nowhere it cramps up and feels like it's going to burst. Diverticulitis is no joke. It absolutely sucks!
I am going to buy a raffle for the Delorean though. Maybe only one this year, it's and automatic so I'm not too interested, but for $50, hey why not?

Andrew
06-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Thank you Bill for letting me ride in 5939! I would have really liked to have driven 5939, however due to the rain, I opted to sit in the passenger seat. I have to admit that 5939 feels like it has slightly more power at WOT than 5052.

Within the next couple of weeks I'll be installing, a used set of headers that I picked up, so we'll see what difference that makes.

On an aside, I have put approx 2,000 miles on 5052 thus far with the stock plastic clutch line without any problems whatsoever in all weather! (I've been running an adjustable PJ Grady clevis from mile 1.)

Andrew
06-23-2015, 09:04 AM
For any drive over an hour I take my wallet out of my back pocket, otherwise my leg goes numb. I also noticed that my left knee gives me some issues after 3 hours or so. I'm considering adding cruise control to remedy this issue. Aside from that 5052 is generally a comfortable car. Not as comfortable as my 85 Toronado or my 72 Riviera, but somewhat more comfortable than my 83 Trans Am.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Adjustable clutch clevis is another bone I have to pick with pontificators. As long as the connecting rod has a little wiggle on the master cylinder piston, the clevis is not "ruining the clutch" because there is zero pressure being exerted (hence the wiggle).

Both #5939 and #2508 have adjustable clevises. To the best of my knowledge they were original either to the factory or QAC's.

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Forgot to mention: at one of my gas stops I was approached by a mother and her special needs daughter. Daughter was painfully shy but dying to see the car. Questions were pretty rudimentary -- engine is in the back, gas tank is in the front -- but *SO* refreshing from the Marty McFly/fux capacitor crap you normally have to put up with (or know it alls who give you a bunch of technical misinformation about your own car, then tell you you're wrong when you try to correct them). I even let her sit in the passenger seat and get her picture taken (leery about letting newbies sit in my driver's seat because I've heard stories of the steering column stalks getting snapped off).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-23-2015, 09:14 AM
I let almost any respectable kid sit in the driver seat providing they are well mannered and the parent is there to give permission. I only do this for kids that have manners. I just make sure to tell them not to grab the steering wheel or windshield when they get out. So far my car has survived.

Dracula
06-23-2015, 09:15 AM
If you lose a stalk, I have a spare for each side.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-23-2015, 04:19 PM
WWII captured Nazi U-boat!

For anyone considering going to see U-505, this is the sight that greets you when you round the final corner of the exhibit:

No bullshit -- it's a real honest to goodness U-boat (only one in the western hemisphere that isn't sitting at the bottom of the ocean or a river somewhere).

If you've seen the movie Das Boot (released stateside dubbed as "The Boat" -- see it in its original subtitled German instead: http://www.amazon.com/Das-Boot-Directors-J%C3%BCrgen-Prochnow/dp/0767802470/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1435093125&sr=1-2), it is stunning how accurate the sets were. Not visible in this pic are entry and exit doors cut into the port side hull so museum visitors can tour the inside of the sub. Reality was *EXACTLY* like the movie. Quite large on the exterior and very cramped inside due to the pressure hull.

There are several WW II American subs on display, but this is the only German one.

Noise level in the engine room was 140 db and the temperature was 120 degrees. The museum simulates the sound of one of the two engines idling, and it was definitely loud (drowned out the tour guide's narration). Engines had to be shut down within one or two seconds of dive instructions because they breathed air from inside the ship (externally exhausted of course). Forget how long it would take them to consume all oxygen inside the ship after the vents were closed, but it was a surprisingly short period of time (something like 15-20 seconds). Every second the engines continued to run after the vents were closed took multiple minutes off their submerged time.

Bill Robertson

Jonathan
06-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Glad to hear you made it back A-OK!

It was great getting to hang out with part of the Today family and I had a most excellent time :headbang:

Nice chatting with you guys at the open house. Some good lunch time conversation with Bill and Steve and Chad and Josh and others... and no Canada / US cross-border wars broke out! Glad to hear about the U-boat tour at breakfast too.

Glad everyone got home in one piece. I got downtown to do some Ferris Bueller/Breakfast Club location looking around and caught the Cubs game on Monday night as well. Heck, they even threw in a little tornado watch for us at the ballpark.

Take it easy, Jonathan

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-24-2015, 11:45 AM
I got downtown to do some Ferris Bueller/Breakfast Club location looking around

Blues Brothers?

Bill Robertson

Jonathan
06-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Blues Brothers?

Bill Robertson

No Blues Brothers stuff. Downtown was mostly for the Cubs game that night. Went to the Art Institute for the majority of the day though.

The day before was more of the John Hughes film stuff and it was a little north of downtown. Glencoe, Northbrook, Winnetka, etc. "Shermer, Illinois, 60062" :)

The Groundhog Day town was fun too and just a few miles from Crystal Lake in Woodstock, IL.

NightFlyer
06-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Nice chatting with you guys at the open house. Some good lunch time conversation with Bill and Steve and Chad and Josh and others... and no Canada / US cross-border wars broke out!

Great seeing you again Jonathan, glad you were able to make the trip, and had a safe drive home - definitely a most excellent time!

Also glad that you were able to enjoy many other points of interest in NE Illinois. That's a great pic of the ominous weather that you experienced at the Cub's game - welcome to the Midwest!

stevedmc
06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Exeed Internet is fast.

NightFlyer
06-24-2015, 11:50 PM
Exeed Internet is fast.

Indeed it is! The latency takes a little getting used to, but otherwise they're usually well above the advertised minimum speeds :thumbup:

DMCMW Julee
06-26-2015, 10:27 PM
2015 Customer Open House Wrap-Up

Thank you to everyone who came to join DMC Midwest for our Customer Appreciation Day on June 20th!

A special thank you to Chris Nicholson for showing us his amazing artistry by doing a Stainless Rejuvenation Demonstration on the 2016 DCS raffle car. What an honor to have the very best in our house!

A few honorable mentions go out to Jeremiah, Brandt and Heather for set up help as well as all the owners who helped tear-down at the end of the day. You're the best!

A few event stats:

*15 Hotel rooms were reserved for at least 2 nights. The Comfort Inn thanks you!
*23 owners met for a group dinner on Friday night. The Village Squire thanks you!
*150 people joined us for day to feast on the wonderful Southern-Style Bar-B-Que lunch that was served (pulled pork, mac-n-cheese, baked beans and goodies). Lots of rave reviews for our Chef Seneca!
*About 10 kids enjoyed the Bouncy House, Kid's Pool, Blacktop Art and Wii set up especially for them.
*Over the 25 DeLoreans that we already had in our shop, an additional 36 DeLoreans came by to grace our blacktop.
*40 owners gathered for the after party pizza dinner. Nick's Pizza Pub thanks you!

*Farthest driven DeLorean honor goes to Chad Krause from Texas. Second Place goes to Steve Rice from Louisiana.
*Other states represented were:
-Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, North Carolina and Wisconsin as well as representation from Ontario, Canada!

*Other special interest DeLoreans:
-2016 Springfield, IL DCS Raffle Car;
-Jeremiah's VR6 Turbo DeLorean;
-Matt H's Back To The Future car;
-4 DeLorean entries from the "Carburetor Club".

Last but not least, we want to thank Stephen Wynne for his continued support. AND to our DMC Midwest Team for all their hard work leading up to the day and every day. Mike (Suzy), Jason, John, and Alex - you are definitely the best team in the business.

Once again, thanks to all of our DeLorean Customers and Friends who helped make this day (and for DMC Midwest - everyday) a success!

Dave and Julee Swingle
DeLorean Motor Company Midwest

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-26-2015, 10:54 PM
By virtue of driving through Louisville rather than Dayton (faster overall due to 75-80 MPH interstates versus 2 lane US 35) Mapquest puts my trip at 930 miles, but my odometer clicked off 960 (probably the route I took around Chicago rather than driving straight through downtown). Irrespective, the 3 farthest traveling DeLoreans were all carbureted. And all were burning HEI (two of them with Ford Duraspark modules). A lot of arguments against such modifications have been advanced on theory, but in the crucible of real world driving they do appear to work....

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
06-26-2015, 11:08 PM
That's called DMCToday representing! :headbang:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Both carburetion and HEI's (and spare tire's...) loudest critic is a certain resident Guru in Chief. Yet he's never even ridden in a car so equipped, much less driven one. Said Guru read in a book somewhere that they were no good and adopted that as his mantra. Oh well -- his loss. Any owner looking to drive his or her car more than 500 miles per year should at least give options an open hearing. Of course not all owners ultimately go down those paths (most do not), but it would be a shame for owners who would find them attractive to miss out simply from prejudice and myopism.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
06-27-2015, 06:47 AM
The Road Knight drop glass didn't get a people's choice award??! I demand a re-count -lol

stevedmc
06-27-2015, 07:06 AM
I heard the guru never drives his car more than 20 miles from his house. To be fair, you don't need a spare tire or parts if you only drive within walking distance of your house.

My car performed flawlessly for the trip with the exception of my alternator belt popping somewhere in Mississippi.

Dracula
06-28-2015, 12:32 AM
I just got in, but I made it back without any deadlining incidents.

NightFlyer
06-28-2015, 01:03 AM
I just got in, but I made it back without any deadlining incidents.

Glad to hear - it was GREAT having finally met you in persona, I really enjoyed it :thumbup:

Dracula
06-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Irrespective, the 3 farthest traveling DeLoreans were all carbureted. And all were burning HEI (two of them with Ford Duraspark modules). A lot of arguments against such modifications have been advanced on theory, but in the crucible of real world driving they do appear to work....

Bill Robertson

Actually, I'm running a bone-stock ignition setup; including factory original plug wires.

I heard the guru never drives his car more than 20 miles from his house. To be fair, you don't need a spare tire or parts if you only drive within walking distance of your house.

My car performed flawlessly for the trip with the exception of my alternator belt popping somewhere in Mississippi.

I didn't carry a spare tire on this trip, either. Getting a proper spare is on my list of things to do.

Aside from the brake disc, all my issues were minor. First my AC failed, then the brake disc, then the door rods meant that I couldn't properly secure the car. Those are minor issues, though, and my car is in fact roadworthy.

Glad to hear - it was GREAT having finally met you in persona, I really enjoyed it :thumbup:

It was great to meet you and others. Your alternators will be shipped out tomorrow.

The people are the real reason to own a DeLorean; from 3:00 AM hood swaps in gas station parking lots to sharing a hotel room to keep the cost reasonable, it's the best owner's group I know of.

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 01:07 PM
all my issues were minor. First my AC failed

Not a minor issue on a DeLorean.

After I get out of these church clothes I will take a picture of the hose I use to charge an A/C system with compressed air to find leaks (on my school bus I never even made it as far as soapy water -- you could hear air rushing out the damaged hose).

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-28-2015, 01:58 PM
I say we shoot for putting 7 people in a room at the next DCS.

Steve
Bill
Night Crier
Dan Harris
Chad
Rich

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 02:37 PM

Steve
Bill
Night Crier
Dan Harris
Chad
Rich

Louisiana public school math?

1 Person: Steve
2 People: Bill
3 people: Night Crier
4 People: Dan Harris
5 People: Chad
6 People: Rich

Bill Robertson

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 02:39 PM
After I get out of these church clothes I will take a picture of the hose I use to charge an A/C system with compressed air to find leaks

Obviously an air compressor hose goes on the air tool fitting.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
06-28-2015, 02:42 PM
How about the Canadian?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Yes, he can probably count. I am sure public schools are better up there.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
I say we put him down for it. Socialists are all about sharing cost.

Rich_NYS

Steve
Bill
Night Crier
Dan Harris
Chad
Rich

I'm in....

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 04:25 PM
Woo Hoo -- 1 more person equals eleven.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
06-28-2015, 04:27 PM

Obviously an air compressor hose goes on the air tool fitting.

Bill Robertson

I'll need to make one for R12 fittings and buy a set of gauges.

Andrew
06-28-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm in!

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Woo Hoo -- 1 more person equals twenty seven.

Bill Robertson

Rich_NYS
06-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Woo Hoo -- 1 more person equals twenty seven.

Bill Robertson

hahaha :cheers:

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
06-28-2015, 06:08 PM
I'll need to make one for R12 fittings and buy a set of gauges.

Or buy a set of those god awful aluminum R134 conversion fittings for the test, then pull them off after you're finished (those fittings don't have schrader valves -- just a pin that presses on your R12 valves). Also works to put a set of R134 gauges on an R12 system.

R134 charging hoses are easier to come by than R12 hoses (Wally World sells them).

Bill Robertson

Jonathan
06-28-2015, 08:36 PM
I say we put him down for it. Socialists are all about sharing cost.

Louisiana public school math?

Sure, but with the exchange rate as it is, I might add 1.26 people to the head count... eh!

Andrew
06-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Actually, I'm running a bone-stock ignition setup; including factory original plug wires.

I didn't carry a spare tire on this trip, either. Getting a proper spare is on my list of things to do.

Aside from the brake disc, all my issues were minor. First my AC failed, then the brake disc, then the door rods meant that I couldn't properly secure the car. Those are minor issues, though, and my car is in fact roadworthy.

It was great to meet you and others. Your alternators will be shipped out tomorrow.

The people are the real reason to own a DeLorean; from 3:00 AM hood swaps in gas station parking lots to sharing a hotel room to keep the cost reasonable, it's the best owner's group I know of.

Contrary to the opinion of Malcolm Bricklin, spare tires are a good idea :-) Of course, I can't throw stones, after 17 years of DeLorean ownership, finally I decided to get a functional spare tire before DMCMW. The bead on 5052's spare rim was so corroded that it would leak from 60 PSI to 0 PSI overnight! In the process of having the tire store clean the rim they ripped the bead, thus they gave me a spare tire that they had sitting around which per the DOT # is 20 years newer than the OEM DMC spare.

I agree with Chad. This forum has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful owners I have ever had the privilege of meeting. Had it not been for the information that I learned on this forum, I doubt I would have purchased a second DeLorean. Furthermore, the cumulative wealth of information on this forum have given me countless resources that I have applied to 5052 to make it a reliable drivable and quite frankly a more enjoyable DeLorean!

I'm planning a tech session at my place in Lansing Michigan this fall on a date TBD based upon the schedules of those who would like to attend. Of course everyone on DMC Today is invited!

NightFlyer
06-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm planning a tech session at my place in Lansing Michigan this fall on a date TBD based upon the schedules of those who would like to attend. Of course everyone on DMC Today is invited!

You can count on me attending with 1798 in ready to work clothes :thumbup:

Great opportunity for Michigan / Midwest owners to get together and work on their cars - Andrew has a GREAT setup at his place!

Looking forward to it my friend :bananadance: