PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Amperage Draw

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
I have known for a while that #5939 draws less than 63 amps @ 2,000 RPM with everything energized except the power windows:

But how much will it draw on my upcoming trip to New Orleans (A/C, blower motor 4, radio)? Answer: less than 43 amps @ 2,000 RPM:

I think my Autozone alternator will be fine.

Bill Robertson

NightFlyer
07-18-2013, 12:15 PM
@Bill - is it that your car is heavily modified, or is it that conventional wisdom about DeLorean power draw is greatly exaggerated?

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
#5939 has been modified from its original factory configuration. Some pontificators and prevaricators consider it a FrankenDeLorean -- a curious indictment from owners who either drive their cars less than 1,000 miles per year, or have actually modified their cars even moreso than me (ever seen what an EFI conversion entails? Miles and miles of new wiring).

Bill Robertson

Doogie
07-18-2013, 08:00 PM
I have a mostly stock DeLorean (except the alternator, PO put on a GM one 25 years ago), in need of major upgrades to the electrical system. Am I right to assume the first to go should be the radiator fans?

tom kish vin.4357
07-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Hello guys i'm going to need a new alternator for my D which way would you go?

stevedmc
07-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Hello guys i'm going to need a new alternator for my D which way would you go?

I'm using a 1991 Saturn alternator from Autozone. All of the information is on the cross reference spreadsheet.

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.php?5-Cross-reference-parts-list

Greasy DeLorean Mechanic
07-18-2013, 10:50 PM
I believe stock radiator fans drew about 10 amps apiece when new. As they age with use their current draw goes up.

Bosch fuel pump also is about 10 amps.

Don't know how much various ECU's draw.

Incandescent running lights (excluding headlights) should be 12-15 amps.

HVAC blower motor becomes a real power hog as it ages, especially since the bearings tend to get rusty (DMC ran a hose from the evaporator box to the bearings, ostensibly to blow cold air on them, but often condensed water runs down it due to the inadequate evaporator box drain (yes, I know that part of the box is raised up, but as the box fills with water it eventually gets high enough to run down the hose -- look for tell tale stains on the carpet). Original circuit breaker is 20 amp.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
07-19-2013, 04:44 PM
The biggest power savings you can make are probably the radiator fans and HVAC blower motor. Like Bill said, they draw more and more current as they age. Plus, lower-current cooling fans have been available for several years now and have stood the test of time.