PDA

View Full Version : Roku, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Duplicate Account
07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
At first I wasn't wild about it. It sat for a year unused. With all the crappy B-programming I thought of it as merely streaming UHF. I was wrong.

I got Netflix and started watching movies that way instead of Redbox. And Pandora for music. But even better than that?

VEVO. I've always been wild about music videos, and this channel is a terrific way to stream them. Now I can do housework and projects while half watching TV.

I'm hooked.

stevedmc
07-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I love my Roku. I've had one for about a year and you can't beat the selection of channels for it. Netflix is $8 a month, Amazon Prime is $80 a year (plus you get two day shipping for orders) and Crackle is free.

Frankly Vevo amazes me. It feels like I'm watching MTV (20 years ago) whenever I have it on.

Farrar
07-15-2013, 06:50 PM
I was thinking of getting a Roku. We use our Wii for streaming YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu, and Amazon. Will Roku do all of those, too? The Wii is limited to 480p resolution and is WiFi only. If Roku is better for a reasonable price, point me in the right direction, please! :)

Duplicate Account
07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I was thinking of getting a Roku. We use our Wii for streaming YouTube, NetFlix, Hulu, and Amazon. Will Roku do all of those, too? The Wii is limited to 480p resolution and is WiFi only. If Roku is better for a reasonable price, point me in the right direction, please! :)

My Roku doesn't do youtube. There's a work around if you are geeky. It does most everything else. You can do HD with a separately bought HDMI cable. I chose the intermediately priced roku2, which was $60.

Dracula
07-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I thought it was the Japanese word for the number "six"" and had no idea what you were talking about until I Googled it... I've been getting very fed up with Netflix and have been looking for an alternative.

NightFlyer
07-15-2013, 07:42 PM
This is all above me. I still prefer 33 1/3 vinyl.

dvonk
07-16-2013, 12:10 AM
I still prefer 33 1/3 vinyl.

you are not alone on this forum... i (and venture to guess Farrar & Chad, maybe others) like vinyl as well. my newest album purchase i bought on vinyl. for me, half the enjoyment is from the 12x12" cover art--which is one of the reasons i collect LaserDiscs as well.

but, i digress. while i do not have a Roku, i do have an AppleTV. i use it daily--be it for movies/tv shows on Netflix, watching YouTube videos in 1080p on my TV, streaming Pandora from my iPhone or streaming my music library from my iMac, video mirroring of my phone or computer screen... Apple also has an app that lets you use your iPhone as a remote/keyboard, etc.

since i already have a bunch of Apple stuff, it works seamlessly with everything. had i not, Roku would have definitely been a top contender.

Farrar
07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I still listen to vinyl, except I convert it to digital so I can take it with me in the car, to work, etc. I used to have a side business cleaning up old vinyl and digitizing it. I did everything from 78s forward. Unfortunately, that business dried up. I still give my own records the best treatment, though, when I "remaster" them. :)

stevedmc
07-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I just bought another piece of vinyl two weeks ago. Around the World in a Day - Prince, sounds way better in pure analog sound.