PDA

View Full Version : Woodward Dream Cruise August 17, 2013, Detroit, MI

NightFlyer
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Who plans on attending the Woodward Dream Cruise 2013? This year's cruise is on August 17. Here's the official website for more details:

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

Flint is also doing its annual 'Back to the Bricks' show and cruise, August 13-17, which in many ways is even better than Woodward IMHO. Here's the official website for more details:

http://www.backtothebricks.org/

For the last several years, area DeLorean clubs have worked out an arrangement with the planning committee to take over the frontage lot of the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes Benz dealership on Woodward Ave for a mini DeLorean car show.

A trip to the old QAC in Troy is also currently in the planning stages.

If anyone was traveling and needed a place to stay overnight, I can provide free lodging (I do have a cat, don't have a/c) and overnight indoor parking for several cars.

I'm located about 100 miles, an 80 minute drive, from Flint/Detroit in Sunfield, MI, and will be attending both events with #1798.

So who's going?

stevedmc
07-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I think I might fly out there for August 17th. Give me a few days to check my plans and I'll let you know.

NightFlyer
07-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I think I might fly out there for August 17th. Give me a few days to check my plans and I'll let you know.

Sounds good - hope you can make it!

stevedmc
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Sounds good - hope you can make it!

It looks like I'm going. I just booked my tickets. The times suck but its the price you pay for a free ticket.

10:35 PM Friday August 16 Arrive in Detroit, MI (DTW) on Southwest flight #1254
06:55 AM Sunday August 18 Depart Detroit, MI (DTW) on Southwest flight #1524

NightFlyer
07-05-2013, 11:23 PM
It looks like I'm going. I just booked my tickets. The times suck but its the price you pay for a free ticket.

10:35 PM Friday August 16 Arrive in Detroit, MI (DTW) on Southwest flight #1254
06:55 AM Sunday August 18 Depart Detroit, MI (DTW) on Southwest flight #1524

Sweet! The times actually work out pretty good, as I can shoot down from Flint on Friday night to pick you up at Metro. I'm not sure if other owners will be staying with me or not. There's a few that are tentative, but nothing confirmed as of yet. Some friends from Wisconsin are also tentatively planning to come that weekend for Back to the Bricks / Woodward, but again, nothing confirmed as of yet.

As you were the first to confirm, I'll reserve a room / bed (with mattress and box-spring) just for you.

Look forward to meeting you!

stevedmc
07-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Sounds great. I will have to leave super early Sunday morning, so to make things easier I will just book a hotel room close to the airport for Saturday night. I'll figure out that part as the date gets closer.

Thanks for the transportation and free place to stay Friday night. Do I need to pay any fees for the Woodward Dream Cruise or can I just show up without having to book something? I've got no clue since I've never been to it before.

NightFlyer
07-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Do I need to pay any fees for the Woodward Dream Cruise or can I just show up without having to book something? I've got no clue since I've neveror been to it before.

No fees. for Woodward - just show up and don't forget your camera. I'll pack a canvas folding chair for you, just in case you want one.

stevedmc
08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
So this date is coming up pretty soon. Somebody better be at the airport to pick me up next Friday night. Are we still planning to do AC work on your car?

NightFlyer
08-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Absolutely!

I'll be at Detroit Metro with car. Sorry I disappeared for a while, but it took a marathon 11 days (and 3 all-nighters) of non-stop work on my D to get her roadworthy once again after an extended storage (10 years). Thanks to all the hard work and sleepless nights, my Dad (who assisted in the work), and Dave and Julee of DMC Midwest (who were able to provide parts on demand and a lot of invaluable knowledge/advice), my car is currently running better than it has ever since I've owned it :)

A/C work is up to you (how light/heavy you prefer to travel on this trip) - if you feel like it, great. If not, I can do it myself in the future. In all honesty, it hasn't been a sweltering summer here, so A/C use would most likely be minimal the remainder of this year.

Looking forward to finally meeting you in persona :cool:

NightFlyer
08-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Let's forget about doing any A/C work, as I'm just not ready for it at this point - no refrigerant, no r134a fittings, and no A/C vac arrangement as of yet. I've just been way too busy trying to get caught up with my yard/house (thought I'd have a few days when I previously had off, but alas the D resurrection took every last minute of that vacation/time-off). Plus it'll allow you to travel light :)

I've got my sister and her friend, both from Wisconsin, staying over and going to Woodward as well, just so you're aware. No D owners took me up on my offer of a free place to stay / indoor overnight parking, but then again, I'm about an hour and a half away from all the action, so not really all that surprised. Rich W has you listed as a 'Distant Visitor' for the Bloomfield Hills MB DeLorean event, so everything should be all set.

I'm not sure what vehicle I'll have to pick you up from Metro, so it's probably best if you PM me with you your number. I'll be there by 10:35pm for your arrival.

Should be a good time and I'm looking forward to it! :cool:

stevedmc
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Let's forget about doing any A/C work, as I'm just not ready for it at this point - no refrigerant, no r134a fittings, and no A/C vac arrangement as of yet.

No worries man. It will be nice to relax and do nothing. I'll bring some r134a adapters, an engine vacuum hose, and a tiny gauge just in case we get bored. I should be able to put those things in my checked luggage with no problem. If we get bored we just need some r134a, ester oil, and mineral spirits (charcoal starter fluid or paint thinner will do).

No worries if we don't do the work, but its an easy project if we end up having gobs of spare time on our hands. I'm sending you a PM with my phone number of (225) 573-1929 right now.

NightFlyer
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
OH NO - now Bill has your number! :p

Sounds good!

FYI - During the cruise, it takes about 2-3 hours to 'cruise' from one end of Woodward Ave to the other and their are car shows literally in every parking lot. Tons to see and do, very little time. The only tentative plan that I have is to get to the MB dealership early, 9am-10am, and go from there, thus I plan on leaving the house between 6am-7am.

stevedmc
08-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Some boo boo better update this thread. I'm still tired and too lazy to do so.

We did see some pretty cool cars. It was great getting to see everyone. My favorite car was the Griswold Family Truckster. Very nice.

NightFlyer
08-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah, yeah, I'm working on getting some pics. Review/retrospect of the event will be up some time tonight :)

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, Woodward Dream Cruise 2013 has come and gone, and all in all, it was a blast! Unfortunately, the rechargeables that I had charged for my camera ended up being junk and wouldn't hold a charge, thus I'm having to rely on others for pictures from the event.

It was great having finally met Mr. DMCToday.com, Steve Rice - thanks again for breakfast, the tank of fuel for the D, and bringing the A/C equipment (even though we didn't have time to perform any A/C work). I really appreciate everything! Consider my house always open to you for a visit :)

As luck would have it, shortly after picking up Steve from Detroit Metro, I spotted DeLorean tail lights at 11:15p.m. about a 1/4 mile in front of us as we were heading northbound on I-275. Naturally, I sped up and got along side it. The spotted DeLorean had MI plates, but we were unable to identify the occupants, and although I believed that we'd more than likely see the car and meet the owner the following day at Woodward, we never did. Ironic is the fact that the owner/occupant of the unidentified DeLorean most likely thought that we were gawking at the car, when we were actually trying to figure out who it was that was driving it. Keep in mind that we were in my '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 at the time, and not my D.

Turnout at Woodward this year, in both the number of DeLoreans and other vintage/classic/exotic/specialty/highly modified/oddball cruisers, was admittedly pretty anemic compared to year's past, despite the perfect weather that we had this year. Upon arriving at the Bloomfield Hills Mercedes Benz dealership at around 11:00a.m., we were greeted by fellow owners Rich W. (with the infamous D-Rex) and Tony S. (with 2 cars present, including the QAC POG training car) of Chicago/Midwest Connection, a couple local owners from Warren and Troy respectively (sorry I forgot your names), and Bill S. (one of the nicest and most authentic owners you could ever hope to meet) from SE Wisconsin who brought his rare Safety Green AMC 360 powered Bricklin SV-1. Shortly after our arrival, James Espey of DMCH and Sarah H. made an appearance and mingled with owners for several hours prior to leaving for an auto plant tour in Indiana.

About 7 other Detroit / NW Ohio owners joined us at various times throughout the day, however, the most organized cruise of DeLorean's down Woodward Ave. (with doors open) was 3 cars consisting of Tony S., #1798, and and a fellow Detroit area owner. Contrast with two year's ago when nearly 20 DeLorean's were cruising together with doors raised down Woodward Ave. Oh well, it was still a blast to be a part of, despite the constant/non-stop shouts from spectators along the cruise route with BTTF related comments/jokes (although running with the expired personalized WI plate of OUT A TME, I take full responsibility for such comments, not that I actually care much anyway). There was also a guy wanting to see what a Renault transaxle would look like sprawled out all over Woodward Ave. by insisting that I do a massive burn out in bumper-to-bumper barely moving traffic. :)

Around mid-afternoon, the true stars of the weekend (for DeLorean owners anyway) finally arrived in Tony S.'s VIN 520 - QAC Parts POG Chris Duvall and King POG Jeff Synor. Meeting and having the opportunity to talk to them was an honor and provided a glimpse into the history of our cars that was truly unique, invaluable, and unforgettable. It also provided Chris Duvall with the opportunity to reunite with a very special car to him, my #1798, which had the unique honor of being used as a 'parts' car for several months at the Troy QAC. I definitely hope to stay in touch and meet up with both again in the near future!

We left the MB dealership at around 6:30p.m. to do a little Woodward cruising with another owner, and finally make our way back to Sunfield, after attempting to arrange dinner with other owners proved futile, as everyone's schedules and direction of travel were so very different. However, we did manged to have dinner in Okemos (a suburb of Lansing near East Lansing) with fellow owner and forum member FABombjoy (who has been trying to arrange a get together for quite sometime but had to wait on my slow butt in getting my car out of storage and running). Although it was too dark to check out cars, we did have some most excellent pizza at Frank's Press Box, some excellent conversation, and a lot of laughs. I look forward to meeting up with FABombjoy in the near future and would also like to issue an open invite to him and his wife at my house any time :)

After getting no sleep what-so-ever Thursday night and Friday night, I did manage to squeeze in about 3 hours of zzz's Saturday night before running Steve back to Detroit Metro to catch his flight home.

The biggest tragedies of the weekend were how I couldn't stop bitching about how I rolled down the driver's side window of #1798 just a little too far, causing it to jump the track (yet again, causing me another 5 hours of work tearing the door apart to fix it), when Steve discovered my secret awesome repair of black electrical tape on the driver's door grab handle, and my utterly crappy driving caused by my urgent need to use the bathroom after downing about a dozen waters/Gatorades at the MB dealership and failing to use the facilities there prior to leaving (just like a little kid). But hey, I can easily blame all of it on sleep deprivation, right :p

It was definitely one of the best weekend's I've had in a long time and I'd like to say thanks to Steve, FABombjoy, my sister and her friend Kris (who joined us all weekend long), and all the other fellow DeLorean owners that I met at Woodward for making it a reality. I only wish that turnout at Woodward would have been a little more consistent with years past and that we would have done a little more cruising - but there's always next year! :cool:

Duplicate Account
08-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Has the story of 1789 as QAC parts car ever been told? Sorry to hear about your window. That's why I'd like to hack it to merely slide up and down. Motorized toll booth windows = the stupid.

stevedmc
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
459What he said. Here are my pictures too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1185670_10151824315490586_835321746_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1098227_10151824315660586_454605879_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1185980_10151824315865586_522349780_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1002335_10151824316070586_1627341116_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003907_10151824316165586_1510935727_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1150924_10151824080265586_1167215418_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1173606_10151824080810586_1052283395_n.jpg

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Has the story of 1789 as QAC parts car ever been told? Sorry to hear about your window. That's why I'd like to hack it to merely slide up and down. Motorized toll booth windows = the stupid.

I'll split the story of #1798 off into a separate thread.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 01:53 PM
I guess this happened after we had left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGMP48cxS4

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Short video of Steve and I returning after cruising Woodward Ave. in #1798:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ddxVpcWoao

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Fellow Woodward cruisers passing by the MB dealership that DeLorean owners camped out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RX_u4ikTE

stevedmc
08-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Fellow Woodward cruisers passing by the MB dealership that DeLorean owners camped out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9RX_u4ikTE

Poor Bricklin owners. I never even considered that they must go through Bradley GT comments.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Poor Bricklin owners. I never even considered that they must go through Bradley GT comments.

What's really ironic is that his buddy correctly identifies it as a Bricklin just seconds before he shouts out the comment about the Bradley GT.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 02:48 PM

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 02:55 PM

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Steve's photo-bomb that has gained notoriety in the DeLorean community:

https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1186693_10151662872204401_84379202_n.jpg

stevedmc
08-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Steve's photo-bomb that has gained notoriety in the DeLorean community:

And you thought I was joking when I mentioned I was going to photo bomb those pictures.

NightFlyer
08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
And you thought I was joking when I mentioned I was going to photo bomb those pictures.

Comments generated by Steve's photo-bomb on the DMCH Facebook page posting of this pic:

Trevor Janok "the guy in the back."
August 17 at 12:05pm Like 4

Mike Dembkowski "Nice photobomb"
August 17 at 12:27pm via mobile Like

Jonathan A. Kuehm "Please air brush the guy out! My apologies to the guy tho...I'd want to check their trunks..OOPS!!! I ment, check the car out!"
August 17 at 12:58pm Like

Dagoberto Patlan "Isn't that the DMCToday guy photo bombing in the back?"
August 17 at 1:23pm via mobile Like 2

dvonk
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
hahaha, awesome. good job, Steve.